Club History

History of the Barossa Valley Golf Club

The Barossa Valley Golf Club was formerly known as the Angaston Golf Club. Formed in the early 1900’s it became affiliated with the S.A.G.A. in June 1906.

The Angaston 9-hole course (with Slag Scrapes) was on land owned by the late Mr. John Dalwitz, situated on the south side of the main road between Angaston and Nutiootpa. Through his interest in golf and his extreme generosity, when Mr. J. Dalwitz died in 1953, the property passed into the hands of the Angaston Golf Club.

In 1954 thought was given to seeking enough suitable land elsewhere to establish an 18 –hole course. A sub committee was formed for this purpose and at a special general meeting it was recommended to purchase 162 acres from Penfolds Family Wines Pty Ltd at Kalimna to be known as the ‘John Dalwitz Links’.

The name of the Angaston Golf Club was changed to the Barossa Valley Golf Club Incorporated in 1968.

Written by Mrs. M. MacGillivray

1905

Angaston Golf Club, a 9-hole course (with Slag Scrapes) was formed on land owned by Mr. J. Dalwitz in Angaston, South Australia.

1906

The Angaston Golf Club became affiliated with the S.A.G.A.

1954

162 acres of land purchased from Penfolds Family Wines Pty Ltd on the rich soils of Kalimna, Barossa.

1957

Globally renowned Australian golf course designer Vern Morcom commissed to design the new course.

1962

The Barossa Valley Golf course officially opened in September 1962.

1995

The club course was renovated with full grass greens.

1905

Angaston Golf Club, a 9-hole course (with Slag Scrapes) was formed on land owned by Mr. J. Dalwitz in Angaston, South Australia.

1906

The Angaston Golf Club became affiliated with the S.A.G.A.

1957

Globally renowned Australian golf course designer Vern Morcom commissed to design the new course.

1954

162 acres of land purchased from Penfolds Family Wines Pty Ltd on the rich soils of Kalimna, Barossa.

1962

The Barossa Valley Golf course officially opened in September 1962.

1995

The club course was renovated with full grass greens

Learn about our Sponsors