The Barossa Valley Golf Club was formerly known as the Angaston Golf Club. Formed in the early 1900’s it became affiliated with the S.A.G.A. in June 1906.
The Angaston 9-hole course (with Slag Scrapes) was on land owned by the late Mr. John Dalwitz, situated on the south side of the main road between Angaston and Nutiootpa. Through his interest in golf and his extreme generosity, when Mr. J. Dalwitz died in 1953, the property passed into the hands of the Angaston Golf Club.
In 1954 thought was given to seeking enough suitable land elsewhere to establish an 18 –hole course. A sub committee was formed for this purpose and at a special general meeting it was recommended to purchase 162 acres from Penfolds Family Wines Pty Ltd at Kalimna to be known as the ‘John Dalwitz Links’.
The name of the Angaston Golf Club was changed to the Barossa Valley Golf Club Incorporated in 1968.
Written by Mrs. M. MacGillivray
A Vern Morcom Designed Course
Vern Morcom was commissioned to design the Barossa Valley Golf Club course in 1957.
As a highly regarded course architect, Vern also spent 40 years as the Course Superintendent of Kingston Heath Golf Club, however by the 19060’s no fewer than 90 courses across Australia bore his imprint (reference – The Golf Courses of Vern Morcom, Toby Cummings).
Barossa Valley Golf Club was one of 34 golf courses fully designed by Vern Morcom with most of the labour provided voluntarily by the members in 1959.
The course officially opened in September 1962, with grass greens installed in 1995.
Angaston Golf Club, a 9-hole course (with Slag Scrapes) was formed on land owned by Mr. J. Dalwitz in Angaston, South Australia.
The Angaston Golf Club became affiliated with the S.A.G.A.
162 acres of land purchased from Penfolds Family Wines Pty Ltd on the rich soils of Kalimna, Barossa.
Globally renowned Australian golf course designer Vern Morcom commissed to design the new course.
The Barossa Valley Golf course officially opened in September 1962.
The club course was renovated with full grass greens.